Today I started thinking of things that I could do to be a better, more successful writer. Things that I am not already doing or that I am not doing enough of. I began thinking if there were Ten Commandments for a writer what would they be. So I compiled a list of some things that I think should be a commandment for a writer to follow, at least one that wants to be successful at it.
- Write Every Day (No Matter What!)
- Start a blog and blog frequently, if not everyday
- Make your presence known on the internet. If you don’t have one already, get a Facebook page, a Twiiter account, and a LinkedIn account.
- Maintain your presence on the internet by committing yourself to social networking daily
- Read about the Business of writing and your craft. You can never know too much about what it is you love to do
- Trust your talent and your skill. If you don’t believe in your talent, who else will
- Get a thick skin because there will be rejection letters, probably more than you would ever like to see, but you have to keep believing in your talent.
- Read consistently. You have to be a great reader to be an even better writer.
- Network with other artists, not just writers
- Start calling yourself a writer to the rest of the world because you are one.
Well the list probably isn’t perfect but those are definitely some things that I know that I need to work on to become a better and more successful writer. What would you guys add to this list or better yet, what would your list read? Until tomorrow…Always strive to be a better writer than you were yesterday!
The Diary: Succession of Lies (Now Available)
Writing as “Jaycee Durant”